Friday 13 September 2013

Boosting Breast Milk Supply - Lactation Smoothie

Firstly, I just wanted to say thanks for your patience with the blog being so quiet!!  You are all so understanding, knowing that I am investing my time and energy into being a mummy for my baby girl - who is now 20 weeks old!!  I am often on Facebook, and we have great chats over there about lots of different things, so make sure that you pop over and say hi, if you have been waiting for me to start blogging again!  I will be back regularly - I promise :)




I came across this recipe in the Save our Sleep - Feeding book by Tizzie Hall.  It is so easy and yummy, I wanted to share it with other mummies out there who are looking to boost their supply.  Annabelle has been refusing a bottle since she was about ten weeks old, so I have had a big break from expressing, as I thought I didn't need it.  Then I realised that I needed expressed milk to mix with her solids and had a slight panic attack!!  I have never really struggled with my supply for feeding her, I think I have just enough to keep her happy (the little fat rolls in her thighs tell me she is doing ok!), but I have never had great success with expressing.  But now I have found this drink, and my output is soooo much better!  I don't know about you, but I find producing a bottle of milk such a rewarding task ;)

Anyway, here is the recipe, also converted to grams for those of you who will use your Thermomix to make it.  I pour half into a glass to drink straight away, and half into my Quickshake for later...



Milk Making Drink

2 cups full cream milk (500g)
1/2 cup instant milk powder (25g)
2 teaspoons Sustagen
2 tablespoons brewer's yeast
1 banana or 1/2 cup diced fruit
1 raw egg (optional)

Blend together and drink as often as you can during the day.  
If blending in Thermomix - 30 seconds, speed 7.



I have the chocolate flavoured Sustagen, and I have been using bananas (both fresh and frozen).  I like that this drink also gives me my daily chocolate fix - I developed quite a taste for it while pregnant, and it hasn't seemed to go away since ;)


I don't add the raw egg, nor do I have the brewer's yeast yet (which is apparently the magic ingredient!), and I am still getting so much more milk than I previously did.  This morning after feeding Annabelle I pumped 150mls just from one side!

I would love to hear how you go with this... I have tried taking Breastfeeding Support vitamins and Fenugreek, and also I have tried Power Pumping, but this has been far more successful for me.

Good luck - and high fives to all of the breastfeeding mummies out there.  I absolutely LOVE breastfeeding, I have become really attached to it.  I often wonder how I will cope when its time to stop!  But it is such a big responsibility, and while I have been lucky to have a pretty smooth ride with it all, I know it isn't smooth sailing for everyone, and I hope that all of the breastfeeding mums out there know that they are doing an awesome job!


9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am having a hard time finding these ingredients. Where is a good place to look? Thanks!

Cassandra said...

I buy Sustagen and Instant Milk Powder at the supermarket. I have been told you can buy Brewers Yeast at health food stores.

Anonymous said...

I found everything but the sustagen. I believe it's because I live in the U.S. but not sure. Thanks so much!

Mrs. Neises said...

I was curious what the US alternative to Sustagen was and I have read that BOOST energy is very close.

PolkaDotTeacher said...

How long will this shake last in the fridge if I make multiple "batches"

Unknown said...

Walmart also has the Brewers yeast by the vitamin section

Anonymous said...

does anyone have any opinion on this? i got all the ingredients (boost replacing sustagen) and plan on trying it tonight. just wanted to hear some other peoples experience.

i googled sustagen and the wikipedia said that boost is the equivalent replacement.

Unknown said...

Is the full cream milk just milk? Lol

Cassandra said...

It is milk that is not a reduced-fat version :)

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...