Saturday 26 January 2013

Wet Weather!

After such a hot, dry summer I guess we all knew that there was going to be some pretty wet weather just around the corner...  This wild weather in the south east of Queensland sure has come as a surprise though!

When we woke up to miserable weather yesterday morning, Mick went out to check and clear all of the gutters, as there was lots of rain predicted for our lovely long weekend for Australia Day.  After raining all day yesterday and last night, and then absolutely pouring for most of today, I thought I would share some snippets of how much water has actually fallen here...

This is our dam in the front yard.  The rock wall that you can see just above the water level is at least 1 metre high usually.  Yesterday our dam was at its lowest point since we have lived here for the past 8 years.  The waterline was well-below the footings for the rock wall.  Today you can see that it might not be long before the water actually breaks the bank!




And out the back, the pool is looking close to overflowing too!  Like the gutter you can see here ;)


There are little creeks running all around the property, but I am not going out there to photograph them for you sorry!  Luckily, we are safe and dry, up on our little hill away from the water running through our dam, which comes from the neighbouring properties on our high side, and travelling to a monster dam that sits on our low side.

So, being housebound and not wanting to go anywhere unnecessarily, it has been a lovely day at home for me.  I have pottered around doing some jobs in the baby's room and also in the laundry - I feel very productive, despite the fact I am still in my nightie from last night at 5pm in the afternoon!!  I just felt like taking it easy today, and I knew that no one would unexpectedly turn up on our doorstep in this weather!

I hope that everyone is staying safe and dry in this terrible weather.  Take it easy!!

xx

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...